Not every Skype call comes from someone known, and plenty makes it a nuisance. You wonder – how to block someone on Skype for Business? Don’t worry, it’s easy enough! As of September 2017, Microsoft has been phasing out Skype for Business in favor of Teams. However, desktop versions will receive support until 2025. Still, if your organization uses Skype for Business, you probably face the bane of all communication apps – unwanted calls. But there is no need to worry. You can still block Skype phone numbers.
The following methods will help you achieve your goal of learning to block Skype numbers.
Method 1: Block Skype Number on Skype for Business
Skype for Business easily allows you to block Skype phone numbers. This is a free feature that helps preserve your peace of mind!
In Skype for Business, you can easily control information about your presence online and the data you show. Skype for Business terms them as “presence”, while you see associations between contacts as “privacy relationships”.
You can mark contacts as colleagues, external contacts, family and friends, and so on. Then these contacts can see information according to the level of privacy afforded by the relationship you marked them.
External contacts can see the least, while family and friends can view most of your profile. Sometimes, however, simply keeping someone as an external contact does not work out. If someone is bothering you on Skype, you can simply block the Skype phone number of that person.
Related: How to Secure Your WhatsApp Account
To block someone on Skype, whether through phone or instant messaging, follow these instructions:
- Navigate to your list of contacts.
- Right-click on the contact that you want to block calls on Skype for Business.
- Select Change Privacy Relationship from the menu, and then choose Blocked Contacts. Now you won’t hear from this contact anymore, and you have activated call blocking in Skype for Business for this individual. You appear offline to them, but they can still view your name and email address.
Tip: Before you completely block a Skype number, you might want to try a “soft” block first. To prevent everyone from contacting you, try changing your Status to “Appear Away” or “Do not disturb”.
Method 2: Block Skype Number of a Stranger
Getting spam calls from an unknown number? Reporting them for abuse serves as one way to secure yourself. If you feel that it is inappropriate, a good block hurts no one. You first need to add that number as a contact in Microsoft Outlook on your desktop. Add it to your contact list and block it, thus activating call blocking in Skype for Business for this particular contact.
Related: 5 Best Adblock Extensions For Your Browser
To block someone on Skype for business,
- Go to Microsoft Outlook and open the Contacts
- Find the feature for creating a new Contact”, and select it.
- A new window pops up. Here, you enter information for the new contact so that it appears normal in Skype for Business. Fill out all the necessary fields i.e. the name, email address, and number. If you don’t know these details, simply make something up! You also might want to include a name easy to find in your contact list.
- Select Save and close, and switch to the Skype for Business app on your desktop.
- Navigate to your contacts list. Find your newly-created pesky contact.
- As outlined in method one, right-click and select Change Privacy Relationship and choose Blocked Contacts.
There you go – now you know how to block someone on Skype for Business!
It might take a day or two for these changes to take effect and completely block Skype phone numbers.
Note: Does this article provide the info you’re looking for? Is there any information you think of missing or incorrect? You can give your opinion in the comments section below.
If you like this tutorial, share this post and spread the knowledge by clicking on the social media options below because “Sharing is caring”