Last Updated on March 27, 2021 by Muhammad Junaid Khalid
We all use MS Office for a variety of tasks. While MS Word is probably the most famous, MS Excel 2019 also has its fans. Tallying scores? Budgeting? Statistical analysis? Tracking your fitness gains? MS Excel 2019 has everything you need for calculations. Like any other program, MS Excel has a learning curve. Users often learn in terms of broad strokes – formulas, graph-making, and so on. But there are smaller tips and tricks to learn as well that benefit in the long run. If you ever wondered how to insert a checkmark symbol or a checkbox in MS Excel 2019, here is your chance to do so!
Learning to insert a checkmark (or a “tick”) in MS Excel 2019 is easy. In this article, we outline how to insert a checkmark symbol. For those who prefer something more tangible, we explain how to insert a checkbox in MS Excel 2019. While this guide is for MS Excel 2019, previous versions of Excel more or less follow the same method. Follow along with the steps below!
How To Insert a Check Mark Symbol
- Open your document in MS Excel 2019. On the spreadsheet, set the pointer where you want to insert a checkmark symbol.
- On the toolbar, switch to the Insert tab and click on the Symbols button, located on the right side of the toolbar. The menu has two buttons, “Equations” and “Symbols” – select the latter.
- The familiar symbols window will appear. You must specify the correct font to insert a checkmark symbol, as not all fonts support symbols. Go to the Font box on the left, and select the Wingdings font.
- Locate the Character code box at the bottom right, then enter the code 252 to select the checkmark symbol (✓).
- Click on the insert, and MS Excel 2019 will insert a checkmark. If you would insert a checkmark with a different design, type in character code 254. Click the Close button to return to the spreadsheet. If you like, right-click on the symbol for the toolbar and change the color or size.
Related: Top 10 New Features of MS PowerPoint
Other check mark symbols
The Segoe UI Symbol font provides three options to insert a checkmark symbol. Simply select this font in the Symbols window, and try these codes:
- 2705 ✅
- 2713 ✓
- 2714 ✔
How To Insert a Check Box For Marking
If you prefer a more interactive experience, checkboxes can do the trick.
- To insert a checkbox, enable the Developer tab in your MS Excel 2019. To add the Developer tab, navigate to File > Options > Customize Ribbon, then mark the box for the Developer tab in the right column. Click OK.
- Return to your spreadsheet. Go to the Developer tab. Select Insert, and under Form Controls, click the checkbox option.
- A targeting pointer will appear. Click the cell where you want to insert a checkbox, and it will show up there. You might need to adjust the cell size to fit it or make the checkbox smaller. You can insert a checkbox one at a time. For more, click on the first checkbox, and use copy-paste to insert a checkbox at other cells.
- Edit the default text or even remove it if you wish. Simply click on the box to add a tick mark. For more formatting options, right-click the checkbox and click Format Control. Display the box as checked, unchecked or mixed, according to your preference. The Cell link option specifies the cell connected to the checkbox option, while 3D shading gives the checkbox more visual depth.
To delete a checkmark, simply click it to select and press the backspace or delete button on the keyboard.
Note: Does this article provide the info you’re looking for? Is there any information you think of missing or incorrect? You can give your opinion in the comments section below.
If you like this tutorial, share this post and spread the knowledge by clicking on the social media options below because “Sharing is caring”