Last Updated on August 27, 2021 by Muhammad Junaid Khalid
Windows 10 has a device lock and locate feature called “Find My Device”, which comes in handy in a situation where you want to find a lost laptop. You can track stolen laptop using this feature. So in this tutorial, we will show you how to find a lost laptop using this amazing feature.
There are some steps that you should take before using this feature. Without taking these steps. You have to first enable the Find my Device feature to track stolen laptop.
How to Enable “Find My Device” Feature?
- This will open the Settings window. Click on Change and enable the Find My Device feature as shown in the picture.
- You also need to sign up for Windows 10 using your Microsoft Account. Without using these two features, you cannot take advantage of the Windows lock and locate features.
- You cannot take advantage of the Windows lock and locate features without Windows 10 Find My Device feature.
Bonus Tip: You have noticed that your laptop name is like DESKTOP-Q12HJ367 or a similar name like this by default which is difficult to remember. You should change your laptop name so that you can recognize it easily.
To change the PC name, go to Start, type “View Your PC Name” and select it from the list. A new Settings window will open. Scroll down and you will find the “Rename this PC” option. Click on Rename this PC and select a name that you can remember easily. You must restart your PC after changing the PC name.
Ok. Let’s get started.
How to Track Stolen Laptop and Lock it?
let’s see how to track stolen laptop and lock it by using this feature.
- To find a lost laptop and lock it, sign in to account.microsoft.com from another device and select Devices.
- On that Windows screen, click Find My Device and select your device from the list. Here you can see the location of your lost laptop on Google maps.
- When you select your device, it will give you the option to lock it. Select Lock to secure your device. A pop-up window will appear. Add a message with your contact info (Mobile number and email) and select Lock.
- After that, it will give you the option to reset your password. Select Reset Password and follow the steps to set a new password.
Now rest easy! You have locked and reset your laptop’s password. You also have the live location info of the lost device through which you can find your device. Using this lock and locate feature, you can find a lost laptop or any other Windows device like a smartphone.
Note: Does this article provide the info you’re looking for? Is there any information you think of missing? You can give your opinion in the comments section below.
If you like this tutorial, share this post and spread the knowledge by clicking on the social media options below because “Sharing is caring”