In Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, you can create a USB recovery drive or system repair disk (CD or DVD). The advantage of creating a USB recovery drive or a system repair disk is that you can restore your PC or laptop in case of any Windows failure. Even if your system won’t start, the recovery media helps you to fix the problem. These bootable media provide you the troubleshooting tools and Windows reinstall option.
Recovery Media (USB) or System Repair Disk (CD/DVD)?
Both have their own advantages. Most modern laptops don’t have a CD or DVD drive. So, you can’t use a system repair disk on laptops but you can still use it on your PC. However, you should create a system repair disk as a backup in case the USB recovery doesn’t work.
You can use the USB recovery drive only on that PC or laptop on which you have created it. But the system repair disk can be used on other computers having the same version of Windows installed.
So, in this tutorial, you will learn to create both USB recovery drive and system repair disk.
How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10
Before beginning the process, you need a USB flash drive having a size of at least 8 GB. Keep in mind that once you create the recovery drive, all the data on the USB will be erased. So, before starting the procedure, make sure you have a backup of your USB data.
- Connect the USB drive to your PC or laptop. Go to Start menu, type “Create a recovery drive” and select it from the list.
- A new Recovery Drive window will appear on the screen. At the bottom of that window, you will see a checkbox with the option “Backup system files to the recovery drive”. Select the checkbox and click Next.
- Now select the USB drive from the given options and click on Next as shown in the picture.
- Now click on Create. This will erase all the data on your USB drive and copy important files to the USB drive. This process will take some time to complete especially if you have selected the backup option in the 2nd step.
That’s it. Your USB recovery drive is ready! Now you can remove the USB drive from your laptop. This is now your Windows 10 recovery drive, and you can use it if you ever need to troubleshoot or reset your PC. Don’t use this USB to store other files or data.
How to Create a System Repair Disk
- To create a system repair disk, open the Control Panel and click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7) as shown in the picture.
- Now click on create a system repair disk.
- Select the disc drive with a writable CD or DVD inserted into it, and then click on the “Create disc” option. The Windows will start to create the system repair disk within a few minutes.
That’s it. Your system repair disk is ready! You can use it to reset or reinstall Windows 10.
If you create the repair disk on Windows 10 computer, you can use this disk to repair any computer having the same version of Windows 10.
Note: Does this article provide the info you’re looking for? Is there any information you think of missing? You can give your opinion in the comments section below.
If you like this tutorial, share this post and spread the knowledge by clicking on social media options below because “Sharing is caring”